A loft conversion is a great way to add extra living space and value to your property. Kent is a popular area for loft conversion, due to its proximity to London and the South East. There are a few things to consider when planning a loft conversion in Kent.
The first thing to do is check if your property is suitable for a loft conversion. Most lofts can be converted, but some may require planning permission. If your property is listed, you will need listed building consent.
Once you have checked if your property is suitable, you need to decide what type of loft conversion you want. There are many different types of loft conversions, and the type that’s right for you will depend on the kind of property you have, your budget, and your personal preferences.
Types of loft conversion
Dormer loft conversion
The most common type of loft conversion. They involve extending the roof to create extra headroom and floor space. A dormer loft conversion can be used to create additional rooms, such as an extra bedroom or bathroom.
Velux loft conversion
A popular choice as they do not require any external alterations. Velux windows are installed on the roof, which provides extra light and ventilation. Velux loft conversion is a good choice if you want to create a light and airy space.
Hip to gable loft conversion
Involves extending the side of the roof to create a gable end. This creates extra space and headroom, making it ideal for larger loft conversions. Hip to gable conversion is often used to create open-plan living areas.
Mansard Loft Conversion
A mansard conversion is a great choice if you’re looking to create a large, open-plan space. This type of conversion involves extending the roof outwards at the eaves, which creates more space inside the loft.
Pitched Roof Loft Conversion
A pitched roof loft-type conversion is a popular choice for many homeowners in Kent. This type of conversion involves extending the roof outwards at the eaves, which creates more space inside the loft.
Flat Roof Loft Conversion
A flat roof loft conversion is a popular choice for many homeowners in Kent. This type of conversion is less expensive than other types of conversion, and it can be a good choice if you’re looking to add an extra bedroom or bathroom.
A spiral staircase is a popular choice for many homeowners in Kent. This type of staircase takes up less space than a traditional staircase, and it can be a great way to access it.
A loft ladder is a popular choice for many homeowners in Kent. This type of ladder is less expensive than a staircase, and it can be a good way to access it.
A bespoke staircase is a popular choice for many homeowners in Kent. This type of staircase is designed to fit your specific requirements, and it can be a great way to access your loft conversion.
A balustrade is a popular choice for many homeowners in Kent. This type of railing used to enclose a staircase or balcony. Therefore it can be a great way to add safety and style to your home.
Layout of Loft conversion
Once you have decided on the type you want, you need to think about the layout. The layout of your loft conversion will determined by the type of conversion you choose.
If you are planning a dormer conversion, you will need to decide where the dormer will be located. The dormer will need to be positioned in the middle of the roof so that it does not affect the structural integrity of the property.
The next thing to think about is the staircase. The staircase is a vital part of any loft conversion, as it provides access to the new space. There are a few things to consider when choosing a staircase, such as a width, height, and headroom.
If you are planning a Velux conversion, you will need to decide where the windows will be located. Velux windows usually positioned in the centre of the roof so that they do not affect the structural integrity of the property.
The final thing to think about is the electrics. You will need to arrange for the installation of new electrical sockets and lighting. The electrics need to be installed by a qualified electrician.
Ways to make the most out of conversion
1. Plan the space – Before starting any loft conversion project, it’s important to plan the space. This includes considering the purpose of the conversion, what type of room(s) you want to create, and how much space you have to work with.
2. Get the right team on board – Once you have a clear idea of what you want to achieve, it’s time to start putting together a team of experts who can help make your vision a reality. This includes an architect, structural engineer, builder, and any other specialist tradespeople who may required.
3. Get planning permission – Unless your loft conversion falls within the permitted development rights, you will need to apply for planning permission from your local authority. This can be a complex and time-consuming process, so it’s important to get expert help to ensure your application is successful.
4. Make sure the structure is sound – One of the most important aspects of any loft conversion is making sure the existing structure is sound. This includes checking for things like dampness, rot, and other potential problems that could cause issues further down the line.
5. Insulate the space – Once the structure is sound, the next step is to insulate the space. This will help to keep the conversion warm in the winter and cool in the summer, making it more comfortable to live in all year round.
6. Choose the right windows – The type of windows you choose can have a big impact on both the look and feel of the space. Velux windows are a popular choice as they allow plenty of natural light into the room, but there are other options available too.
7. Sort out the stairs – One of the most important things to consider when converting your loft is how you’re going to get up there! Stairs are the most common way to access a conversion, but there are other options available such as ladders and spiral staircases.
8. Decide on the layout – Once you have the basic elements in place, it’s time to start thinking about the layout. This includes things like where you want the stairs to go, what type of bathroom you want, and how you want to divide up the space.
9. Choose your finishes – The final step is to choose the finishes. This includes things like flooring, lighting, decoration, and any fitted furniture you may want.
10. Enjoy your new space! – Once all of the above steps have been completed, it’s time to sit back and enjoy your new loft conversion. Whether you’re using it as an extra bedroom, home office, or just a place to relax, you’re sure to love the results.
Cost of Loft conversion
The cost can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the size and layout of your property, the type you want, and the amount of work required. As a general guide, the cost in Kent can start from around £20,000. However, depending on the factors mentioned above, the cost can increase to £44,000 or more.
If you’re thinking about getting a conversion in Kent, the best way to get an accurate quote is to get in touch with a professional loft conversion company: GM Architect. They will be able to assess your property and give you a more accurate idea of how much it will cost.
In the meantime, here’s an overview of some of the factors that can affect the cost of a conversion in Kent.
Size and layout of your property
The size and layout of your property can have a big impact on the cost. If your property is large, it will take more time and materials to convert your loft, which will increase the cost. Similarly, if your property has a complex layout, it might be more difficult to convert your loft, which could also increase the cost.
The type, you want will also affect the cost. For example, a dormer loft is usually more expensive than a Velux loft because it involves more work.
Amount of work required
The amount of work required to convert your loft will also affect the cost. If your loft is already partially converted, it will take less work to finish the job, which will reduce the cost.
However, if your loft is completely empty, it will take more time and more work to convert it, which probably will increase the cost. So a conversion is a great way to do it, and Kent is a great place to do it! With experienced professionals and a variety of options to choose from, you can create the perfect space for your needs.